Aegean Turkey - 2008 - Part 2

Click on a thumbnail to see the full sized picture.

We were entertained during our lunch stop before Aphrodisias.  The food was very good too! The Tetrapylon of Aphrodisias - this was probably sited on a junction on the Processional Way leading to the
Temple of Aphrodite The Temple of Aphrodite was built during the time of Augustus.  It was converted into a church in the 5th century
AD.   Note the snow on the hills - it was very cold! An associated ecclesiastical style building.  The Tetrapylon is in the background The Stadium of Aphrodisias is probably the largest and best preserved of all the Greek/Roman stadia.
Aphrodisias Aphrodisias Aphrodisias Aphrodisias Aphrodisias
It seated approx 30,000 on 30 tiers of seats. As Aphrodisias declined fewer seats were required and the area used was dramatically reduced Activity was limited to this end of the stadium The Temple of Aphrodite viewed from the stadium The Odeum of Aphrodisias dates to the 2nd century AD.  It seated 1700 people, but has lost its upper tier and is
considerably smaller now
Aphrodisias Aphrodisias Aphrodisias Aphrodisias Aphrodisias
The Odeum would have been roofed  and was used for cultural events and council meetings The Tiberius Portico viewed from the ancient settlement mound or Huyuk of Aphrodisias.  The portico surrounded
a large lake which ran the length of the area Many pieces of the frieze of the Tiberius Portico are stored near the museum The frieze is made up of many different masks and garlands The theatre of Aphrodisias was excavated in the 1960s.  Houses covered the slope above the theatre.  The theatre
was used as a rubbish dump.  People were re-homed to a new village nearby before excavation could begin
Aphrodisias Aphrodisias Aphrodisias Aphrodisias Aphrodisias
The upper parts of the theatre were levelled  during Byzantine times so that housing and a fortress could be built. The Sebasteion of Aphrodisias was dedicated to Aphrodite and to the Emperor Augustus.  Recent reconstruction
gives an impression of its size and decoration Magnesia on the Maeander - the pediment of the Temple of Artemis The site and courtyard area of the Temple of Artemis.  The walls in the background are much later defence walls The site was covered in silt and still floods regularly
Aphrodisias Aphrodisias Magnesia on the Maeander Magnesia on the Maeander Magnesia on the Maeander
Demir points to one of the pillars of the Temple of Artemis which lies where it fell after an earthquake Local cows! The Theatre of Magnesia on the Maeander was never completed.  Partially carved blocks are found on the site This is a little visited site The Theatre of Miletus. A Byzantine castle has been constructed on the upper part of the theatre
Magnesia on the Maeander Magnesia on the Maeander Magnesia on the Maeander Magnesia on the Maeander Miletus
The theatre would have looked out over the sea of the Gulf of Latmos.  Silting up over the centuries means that
Miletus is now many miles inland.  The high land on the horizon was the island of Lade The remains of the theatre are of the 2nd century AD Roman reconstruction.   The pillars in the front supported
the Emperor's canopy The vomitoria or exits of the theatre are large and still in very good condition The 8th century castle is built on top of the theatre where the highest seats would have been
located A group of Germans entertained us with a guitar and folk songs
Miletus Miletus Miletus Miletus Miletus
A relief showing gladiators in action A Greek inscription indicating that these seats were reserved The remains of the Citadel from behind the theatre The Citadel This monument is said to have commemorated the Battle of Actium in 31 BC.  It stood very near to what was
once one of the harbours of Miletus, now silted up
Miletus Miletus Miletus Miletus Miletus
The few remaining columns in the background are from the stoa marking the processional way of Miletus Looking across to the stoa from the Bouleuterion.  The site is difficult to understand as little remains in some places This gives a better view of the stoa and the processional way The Baths of Faustina with the dome of the Ilyas Bey Mosque in the background The Ilyas Bey Mosque was built in 1404 AD and was a complex with a madrasa for students
Miletus Miletus Miletus Miletus Miletus
The mosque lost its minaret during an earthquake in the 1950s The brick tiles on the dome were part of the 1905 restoration The entrance is highly ornate with a carved marble screen flanking the doorway The mihrab is carved in marble and is very fine The mihrab of the Ilyas Bey Mosque
Miletus Miletus Miletus Miletus Miletus
Didyma was a sanctuary of Apollo where people came to consult the oracle.  The temple was vast and
never fully finished Didyma - the three remaining columns give an idea of the tremendous height of the temple The cella of the temple was open to the sky with walls over 22 metres high.  After Delphi, Didyma was the most
reknowned of the oracles of the Hellenistic world A sacred way led from Miletus to the sanctuary at Didyma The height and thickness of the temple walls can be clearly seen in this photograph
Didyma Didyma Didyma Didyma Didyma
Another example of a column which has tumbled down during an earthquake The effect is dramatic and shows the large diameter of the column rounds The Temple of Apollo at Didyma is considered to be the third largest building in the Greek world This column base has been marked out ready for carving into the round, but it has barely been started This stone has the beginnings of decoration, but was never completed
Didyma Didyma Didyma Didyma Didyma
This is how it would have looked had it been finished This side of the Temple of Apollo was used as a stadium for the Didymeia, a festival of athletics, music and drama,
celebrated every 4 years in a way similar to that of the festivals held at Delphi The base of a statue, possibly of one of the victors in the athletics People wishing to consult the oracle would first cleanse themselves at this well This huge head of Medusa came from the frieze over  the columns of the temple
Didyma Didyma Didyma Didyma Didyma
Another carved block from the freize Turkcell were filming a mobile phone advert at Didyma whilst we were there View from the slopes of Priene looking across what once was the Gulf of Latmos to Mount Latmos itself and the
town of Herakleia ad Latmos.  The silted plain still floods during the winter months Animal husbandry amongst the asphodels Priene - the Temple of the Egyptian Gods with the cliffs of Teloneia in the background
Didyma Didyma Priene Priene Priene
The Theatre of Priene was built in the 4th century BC and, though modified by the Romans, is a fine example
of a Hellenistic theatre It is hollowed out of the hillside and would have seated 5000 people Around the semi circle of the orchestra are stone benches and 5 large marble seats for important people.  In the
centre of this seating is an altar to Dionysus Demir explains how the water clock worked.  Water was poured in at the top and as each hole filled a set amount
of time was deemed to have passed.  Speeches were timed using this water clock The Temple of Athena Polias was built in the 4th century by the architect Pytheos who also built the Mausoleum
of Halikarnassos
Priene Priene Priene Priene Priene
Damaged by earthquake and fire, these columns we reconstructed in the 1960s
Built on a grid system, Priene had many steep streets, such as this one, running north to south  leading down to
the sea This is one of the main east to west streets which ran across the hillside.  The drainage channel carried away rain
and waste water The Bouleuterion of Priene is one of the best preserved in Asia Minor and dates from the 2nd century BC An altar in the centre is surrounded on three sides by seating.  This building was where the Boule or government
assembly of Priene met
Priene Priene Priene Priene Priene
The Bouleuterion could seat approximately 700 people and was roofed A herd of local goats complete with bells The Lower Gymnasium of Priene - these wash basins are remarkably well preserved Students at the Gymnasium covered the walls in graffiti More ancient graffiti
Priene Priene Priene Priene Priene
The walls were covered! Nothing changes The Stadium of Priene is on the lower levels of the city and is a scramble to reach Tortoise A welcome meal at the nearby village of Gullubahce
Priene Priene Priene Priene Priene
Steam Engine Museum near Kusadasi A variety of engines ranged around the turning point This is an English built Humbolt engine dating from 1913.  It used to work from Izmir to Balikesir This is a Robert Stephenson engine from 1929 This is an English Beyer Peacock from 1948
Steam Engine Museum Steam Engine Museum Steam Engine Museum Steam Engine Museum Steam Engine Museum
This is one of the earliest engines in the museum - a Robert Stevenson from 1887 This was Attaturk's railway coach.  It was fitted out with the utmost luxury Demir enjoys a well deserved rest The Friday market at Kusadasi The Friday market at Kusadasi
Steam Engine Museum Steam Engine Museum Steam Engine Museum Kusadasi Kusadasi
The cauliflowers were enormous! Kusadasi - Guvercin Ada or Pigeon Island has a small castle and is linked to the mainland by a causeway We gather for a last drink before we leave The bay of Kusadasi Kusadasi
Kusadasi Kusadasi Kusadasi Kusadasi Kusadasi
Wendy and Juliette have a paddle on the beach        
Back to homepage

Created with Easy Gallery Generator - EGG V2.1 - LATSOMEP